Sweltering Cities is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic community organiser for a part time role based in Melbourne from January to March 2022.
Sweltering Cities works directly with people affected by extreme heat and rising temperatures to advocate and campaign for more liveable, sustainable and equitable cities.
Working at the intersection of health, economic injustice and climate change, we aim to:
- win community campaigns to create sustainable, liveable and resilient cities – campaigns with solutions and strategies that can be repeated and applied across the country;
- put the voices of people most affected by extreme heat in our cities front and centre in media coverage;
- build powerful networks of diverse people and organisations, working together to mitigate and build resilience to catastrophic global warming.
Sweltering Cities is a small team with a big impact. In 2020 we launched a community survey that engaged 700 people across the hottest suburbs in Sydney and secured funding to expand the program into Victoria. In 2021, Sweltering Cities’ work was covered in the Sydney Morning Herald, the ABC online, in local media and Domain.
The Melbourne Community Campaigner will report to the Sweltering Cities Executive Director. They will be responsible for community outreach and coordinating community events.
An average day may involve calling community contacts on the phone to talk about their experiences with heatwaves, meeting up with someone at a cafe or near their home to talk about local ideas for cooler suburbs, booking a location for a community event or confirming people’s attendance at an upcoming training session.
- Experience with successful community organising or engagement projects in the environment, social justice, community, health or union sectors
- Knowledge of the impacts of extreme heat and rising temperatures on Melbourne communities
- Confidence in organising community events
- Ability to develop and maintain respectful relationships with community members and organisations
- High level written and verbal communications skills
- Experience working independently
- Experience with digital organising or social media
- Experience delivering training sessions
The role is 10-15 hours per week (negotiable) at $35/hour plus superannuation.
Work days by negotiation with occasional weekend or evening work. This role would suit someone who wants to work some set hours and some flexible hours each week.
Sweltering Cities celebrates the benefits of a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from women (cis and trans), Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, sexuality and gender diverse people and people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Applications close at 11:59 pm on January 9th however please apply as soon as possible. The role begins in January.
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter of no more than one page addressing the selection criteria and why you’re interested in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘MELBOURNE COMMUNITY ORGANISER APPLICATION’.