Sweltering Cities is looking for an enthusiastic community campaigner with a proven record in mobilisation and engagement for a part time role based in the Western Suburbs of Sydney from January to April 2022.
Sweltering Cities works directly with people affected by extreme heat and rising temperatures to advocate and campaign for more liveable, sustainable and equitable cities.
Working at the intersection of health, economic injustice and climate change, we aim to:
- win community campaigns to create sustainable, liveable and resilient cities – campaigns with solutions and strategies that can be repeated and applied across the country;
- put the voices of people most affected by extreme heat in our cities front and centre in media coverage;
- build powerful networks of diverse people and organisations, working together to mitigate and build resilience to catastrophic global warming.
Sweltering Cities is a small team with a big impact. In 2020 we launched a community survey that engaged 700 people across the hottest suburbs in Sydney and secured funding to expand the program into Victoria. In 2021, Sweltering Cities’ work was covered in the Sydney Morning Herald, the ABC online, in local media and Domain.
The Western Sydney Community Campaigner will report to the Sweltering Cities Executive Director. They will be responsible for community outreach in Western, South West and North West Sydney with a specific focus on the Penrith area, as well as coordinating community events and working with activists.
An average day may involve calling community contacts on the phone to talk about their experiences with heatwaves, meeting up with someone at a cafe or near their home to talk about local ideas for cooler suburbs, booking a location for a community event or confirming people’s attendance at an upcoming training session.
- Experience with successful community organising or engagement in the environment, social justice, community, health or union sectors.
- Knowledge of Western Sydney communities and geography
- Confidence in organising community events
- Ability to develop and maintain respectful relationships with community members and organisations outside of personal networks
- High level written and verbal communications skills
- Experience working independently
- Experience working in a community facing role in Western Sydney
- Knowledge of the impacts of extreme heat and rising temperatures on urban communities
- Experience with digital organising or social media
- Experience deliverinh training sessions
- Experience with door knocking or other community outreach activities
The role is three days per week (0.6 FTE) and paid at $68,000 pro rata, plus superannuation. Work days by negotiation with occasional weekend or evening work activities. Some work will be done remotely as desired, but there will be frequent work activities across different locations in Western Sydney and in particular the Penrith area.
Sweltering Cities celebrates the benefits of a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from women (cis and trans), Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, sexuality and gender diverse people and people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Applications close December 13th however please apply as soon as possible. The role begins early January.
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter of no more than one page addressing the selection criteria and why you’re interested in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘WESTERN SYDNEY COMMUNITY CAMPAIGNER APPLICATION’.